Review by Stacy Zemon
Being powered speakers (with parallel inputs), you can devise any configuration, but my review focuses on the DSR115 full range cabs and the DSR118W subwoofers.
While the cabinets are not light weight, neither are they ship anchors, owing to their well-balanced design and ergonomically-placed handles.
Hookup and operation are straightforward. On the DSR115, you plug the XLR or 1/4″ cable into the cab’s input. An XLR Thru jack is also included for daisy-chaining speakers together from a single signal source.
The back panel functions are simple to operate. There’s a single-level control with a center detent to put you right at a calibrated +4dBu line level. You can also switch in a handy boost circuit if you’re plugging a mic directly into the cab.
Three additional functions, each with its own dedicated switch, perform the following: 1) disable the front LED; 2) activate the high-pass filter (for eliminating stage rumble and wind noise); and 3) activate D-Contour—Yamaha’s multiband dynamic processor that monitors and adjusts the output levels. The power outlet and heavy-duty rocker on/off switch are safely located on another part of the cab, further down.
The DSR118W’s hookup scheme is only slightly different. There’s no 1/4″ input, but there are left and right XLR In and Thru jacks. The Front LED Disable switch and Level control are present, along with a Normal/Inverted Polarity switch (that you’ll sometimes see referred to erroneously as a “phase” switch on other gear).
Features & Specs
- Next-generation active loudspeakers incorporating high performance DSP and all-new high power Class-D amplifiers with PFC switching mode power supply *full range models only
- Advanced digital sound processing with 48-bit internal processing (76-bit Accumulator)
- FIR-X tuningT for the smoothest possible crossover transitions
- High power DSP and 24-bit discrete ADCs and DACs for maximum dynamic range
- D-CONTOUR (Dynamic-CONTOUR) multi-band dynamic processing provides consistent clarity at both high and low output levels
- Capable of 1300W*(LF850W, HF450W) power output. Loudest, cleanest output of any loudspeakers in their class. *DSR118W:800W
- Extensive protection of the transducers, amplifiers and power supply from high performance DSP.
- Premium-grade, custom designed transducers
- Exclusive LTBD (Long Throw, Broad Dispersion) Constant Directivity Waveguide Horns provide expansive 90° × 60° coverage.
- Stand and pole mountable, with 35mm pole sockets (DSR112, DSR115)
The DSRs makes your music sound great, maximize your power, and protect your sound system. The bass frequencies in the DSR118W come through loud and clear. These speakers deliver a solid performance and have outstanding quality.
Yamaha’s DSR Series prices range from $1,199.00 MSRP to $1,649.00 MSRP. The “street” prices are significantly less.
Stacy Zemon, Publisher & Chief Scribe
To her credit, Stacy Zemon has spawned more professional Mobile DJ business owners than anyone in the industry — anywhere! She is widely considered a leading authority and has become a distinguished leader during the course of her extensive career as a DJ Entertainer. Stacy is author of the world’s best-selling DJ books: The Mobile DJ Handbook, The DJ Sales & Marketing Handbook and The Mobile DJ MBA, and is a longtime writer for DJ Times magazine. Her mission is to provide educational resources for DJs that support their professional growth and financial prosperity. Write to her c/o Stacy@ProMobileDJ.com or call 877-442-7170.