Review by Stacy Zemon
- A client tells you that her son wants to be a DJ and asks you how he can get started.
- A teenager comes up to you at a school dance and asks you how to start DJing.
- Your child has been watching you DJ since before she could walk, and now wants to follow in your footsteps.
How can you help these aspiring DJs? By recommending a good sound system for beginners.
Enter The Gemini FirstMix USB DJ Controller
This system offers a comprehensive and innovative feature-set that allows any user to explore the world of DJing in the most intuitive way possible. It interfaces with a PC or Mac via a standard USB connection, so the included MixVibes Cross LE software to choose songs and sound files from an existing collection (e.g., iTunes library) can easily be used.
Offering an impressive level of dynamic control, MixVibes Cross LE acts as a natural complement to the FirstMix hardware with integrated iTunes browsing, automatic BPM detection and manual/auto beat loop capabilities.
And the really cool part is that the software can be used to record mixes so that musical creations can be shared on SoundCloud or Facebook.
Here’s The Set-Up
FirstMix employs the tried-and-true setup of two decks and a mixer. The central mixer provides independent features for each deck, allowing a DJ to tweak the Gain, Treble and Bass for individual tracks. It also offers a variety of effects, which can be incorporated with fine-tuned control for additional creativity.
The clever design allows for easy navigation of folders and tracks using the Browse function. Once a file’s been loaded, the touch-sensitive jog wheels can simulate the effect of scratching or alter the pitch of a track.
Plus, features like sync allows a user to combine two separate tracks and match the tempos for a unique and professional-sounding mix. Reverse and Preview help a D.J.I.T. (DJ in Training) to become familiarized with the arsenal of functions used by world-class DJs.
This Baby’s Got Value and Versatility for the Aspiring DJ
With support for a variety of digital music files including M4A, AIFF, WAV, MP3, FLAC and OGG, FirstMix ensures seamless functionality with music and sound samples. Plus, with an entry-level price and an intuitive design suitable for any learning curve, FirstMix offers outstanding control and professional features for any would-be DJ.
- Includes everything you need to DJ with a Mac or PC
- Use a digital music library with support for M4A, AIFF, WAV, MP3, FLAC and OGG audio files
- Traditional mixer/CD player layout w/ crossfader
- Two-deck controller with volume, 2-band EQ, effects, and jog wheel for each deck
- Large, touch-sensitive jog wheels provide a natural vinyl feel for scratching, cueing, etc.
- Easy-to-use MixVibes Cross LE DJ software included
- Works with other popular DJ programs such as Traktor, VirtualDJ and Algoriddim Djay
For a video breakdown on the Firstmix, visit http://www.geminidj.com/firstmix
Street Price: Around $99
Stacy Zemon – Publisher and Chief Scribe
What’s more, Stacy’s efforts as a Writer, Author and Publisher have enabled her to spawn the largest number of DJ business owners in the world!
She is author of the world’s best-selling DJ books: The Mobile DJ Handbook, The DJ Sales & Marketing Handbook and The Mobile DJ MBA, and was a longtime writer for DJ Times magazine.
Stacy is also the Founder & President of DJ Video Network – Internet TV for DJs, by DJs.
Her mission is to provide educational resources for DJs that support their professional growth and financial prosperity.
Write to her c/o Stacy@ProMobileDJ.com or call 877-442-7170.
For the longer version of Stacy’s story, click here. To learn about the business services she provides for other DJs, click here.