To succeed and grow your disc jockey business, you must become a master marketer of mobile entertainment services. You must also view marketing as an investment, not an expense. In general, the term marketing covers every aspect of sales, advertising, public relations, promotion, networking and customer service connected with your business.
A large part of the success in your marketing strategy can be attributed to the consistency of your message. So, repeat it over and over again. People need to know about your company before they can contact you. Therefore it is essential to get your message out repeatedly to gain sufficient exposure for them to do so. Be consistent in your use of a company slogan, headline, etc. Timing is also important. You need to reach a target prospect when they are planning an event and have need of your services.
Here are the Top 10 attributes of highly effective marketing campaign:
- PROFITABILITY: It motivates people to buy what you’re offering, and makes more money than it costs.
- LONGEVITY: It maintains its selling power and appeal over long periods.
- UNIQUENESS: It stands out from your competitors by showcasing your company’s unique features and benefits.
- SUBSTANTIVE: It places substance ahead of style, emphasizing the benefits of your services without relying on gimmickry.
- CLIENT-FOCUSED: It connects with your prospects and focuses on their needs and interests, not yours. It engages them by talking to them, instead of about you.
- SOLUTION-ORIENTED: It clearly explains how your prospects problems or issues can be solved, or needs and desires fulfilled, using your DJ services.
- PERMISSION-BASED: It involves getting peoples’ consent to market to them, and emphasizes creating a relationship with them.
- TAILORED: It is specifically crafted for delivery based on the strengths of various media (Internet, Yellow Pages, bridal publications, etc.)
- CLEAR: It is clear, concise and easy to understand.
- CREATIVE: It shows distinctiveness and flare, but always with the goal of showcasing your services and getting people to book you.
The reality is that your company will be judged by prospects who have not seen you perform, largely based on your marketing materials. Therefore, you must create the perception of quality, reliability, professionalism, trustworthiness, and high value in the way you market your services. Only then can you attract high-caliber prospects who are willing to pay your asking price.
Effective marketing needs to be organized, dynamic, integrated and consistent. A proper marketing strategy includes these components:
- Target market(s) identification and research
- Competition identification and research
- Budget estimates
- Marketing tools selection
- Marketing plan execution
Researching the Competition
To effectively conduct competition identification and research, you must answer the following ten questions:
- What services do they offer?
- How many DJs work for the company?
- Where are they located and what are their hours of operation?
- What are their sales and marketing tactics? (Not easily identified)
- What is/are their target market(s)?
- How much do they charge for different types of events?
- Are their clients satisfied?
- Do many of their gigs come from referrals?
- What percentage of their jobs are repeat customers?
Granted, the answers to some of these questions are not easily identified. “Resourceful” is the key word when it comes to conducting research on the competition in your marketplace.
What marketing strategy has worked well for you?