Blogs (short for weblogs) are frequently updated link-heavy online journals. A blog is like an always-on eNewsletter that provides real-time information and gives readers an opportunity to add comments.
Creating a blog is inexpensive, and there are a number of ways in which it can be useful to your DJ company:
Relationship building – blogs can be used as a communication tool between you and your clients. This enables you to interact directly with them in a more personal and approachable way.
Viral Marketing – blogs are a perfect tool for word-of-mouth marketing. The links create a dynamic environment in which one posting can generate a number of responses. Blogs are also easily tracked (or spidered) by search engines such as Google.
Client Feedback – by creating a dialogue with your past clients, you are getting the best customer research money can buy without paying a penny! Use the comments and suggestions to inform your product and service developments.
Brand building – a blog can set you apart from your competitors, be the ideal forum for demonstrating your expertise, as well as giving your business transparency. They present a more authentic voice for your business, not just “marketing speak”.
How To Publish a Blog, Step-By-Step
There are various options in the marketplace for what you’ll need, but these are my personal favorites and the tools that I use.
- Choose a platform. WordPress.com uses a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, so you don’t have to be a coding maven to use it. There are many templates from which you can choose…and, it’s FREE!
- Buy the URL. I suggest you use the existing URL of your DJ service and add a “/blog” to the end of it. The best prices I’ve found are at NameAlerts.com.
- Get hosting. I bought the “Baby Gator” Package at Hostgator.com. If you already have a hosting service that you are happy with, you can add your new URL (e.g., http://www.xyzdj.com/blog) to your account.
- Create great content. The key to the success of your business blog is to create one worth reading! Here are two highly impressive examples to learn from: From Jason Jani – http://sceweddings.com and from Marcello Pedalino (Pictured Above) – http://mmpentertainmentblog.com
- Spread the word. Use Facebook, Linked-In, Twitter, etc. to spread the word about your company’s blog. Let people know where to find you and include your blog’s URL on all your social networking platforms, your email signature, your business cards, and even when you comment on others’ blog posts.
- Blog consistently. Choose the day(s) of the week when you plan to post. You may want to track with Google Analytics to see how well certain days of the week drive traffic to your blog. Also, take note of which topics are popular. As you develop a readership, people will come to depend that they can visit your blog on certain days and see new content. Even if you only commit to blogging twice per month, choose dates like the 15th and the 30th. Publicize your publishing dates in your posts.
- Find important keywords. To help you find keywords while writing a post, install SEO Blogger on your Firefox browser to optimize as you write. You can type in a word and it will generate the most popular keywords people are searching that relates to that word.
Here are final tips to bear in mind while creating your new company blog:
- Create an authentic voice by injecting your opinions, viewpoint and personality into the blog
- Write short, frequent blog entries. Post at least once a week, if not more. Keep your posts to no more than 500 words.
- When possible, provide information that is unavailable elsewhere
- Ensure the information on your blog is relevant and up-to-date, and that any sites you link to are also current
- Use correct spelling and grammar. Need help with this? Contact Dr. Proof – Bryan “The Grammar Hawk” Durio.
- Be honest, but don’t be critical or inappropriate about your competitors
- Use clear titles and choose categories and keywords that your clients may search. Also make use of subheadings, bullet points, short paragraphs and images
- Always include your contact information.
Gotta Beautious Blog? Tell us what makes yours special!